Yesterday, we hosted a webinar for IR teams about Building Your Investor Targeting Strategy. Below, I highlight a few key points from the webinar.
Thomson Reuters Lipper data shows that during 2012, there were persistent outflows from actively managed mutual funds.
With less money to compete with in the hands of active money managers, a well-thought investor targeting strategy is critical to gain a competitive advantage.
Although every company and region is different, there are key questions that all IR teams should ask before building a Targeting Strategy:
- What do we look like as an investment rather than as a company?
- Who are we competing with for capital outside of our close industry peers?
- How does our financial profile enhance/limit the pool of investors we can attract?
- How does our business strategy impact the investors who may buy our stock?
Putting it into Action
- The importance of defining your target market is growing as active assets shrink and funds with wider remits prevail.
- Involve key stakeholders (board, management, sell-side, etc) in all aspects of your plan
- Be realistic about what can be achieved with the resources you have – C-level time allocated to investors, Travel Time/Cost
- Know strategic priorities and investor strategy won’t always align. Competing influences are inevitable – stay the course.
- Commit to measurement from the outset
To learn more, please listen to the replay of our webinar, available on demand and join our upcoming Investor Targeting webinars.
Register once and you will be able to access the webinars of your choice, live and on-demand, without needing to register for each individually.
All webinars will be hosted live at 11 a.m. New York Time, 4 p.m. London time.
- Attracting Tier 2 Investors (March 20)
- Targeting Investors in Europe (May 30)
- Targeting Investors in Asia (June 26)
If you’re interested in building your investor targeting strategy, please contact us.
James Tickner, Head of Global Investor Targeting