MOBILE WEB USERS WILL SURPASS “TRADITIONAL” DESKTOP INTERNET USERS BY 2014*
With the rapid adoption of mobile technology, there is a sense of an always-online culture where the ability to research and communicate is never more than a click or swipe away. Investor Relations is no exception.
As an IR professional, you need to stay connected to events moving your company, peers and industry, even when you’re on the road. And your stakeholders are also increasingly becoming mobile.
Here are a few simple ways to incorporate mobile into your IR program:
1) Optimize your IR website for your mobile stakeholders: By 2013, mobile is expected to be the first screen for all Web usage. What does this mean for IR? Well, it means your IR website will probably be viewed on a smartphone or tablet. And as the saying goes, first impressions matter. Ensure your IR website is optimized to be viewed not only on multiple browsers but also multiple devices including tablets and smartphones.
2) Ensure your earnings and video webcasts are mobile-friendly: A report from Nielsen found that over 26 million U.S. consumers viewed mobile video in the last quarter. Ensure that you offer the same experience to your mobile audiences accessing your earnings & conference webcasts as to your desktop viewers. Learn more on how to optimize your webcasts and webinars for mobile audience by visiting our Multimedia Solutions blog.
3) Arm yourself (and your team) with a tablet: According to a report by IDC, it is estimated that by 2014, 70% of employees will access company data from outside their office. Increase productivity and collaboration by using a tablet – ideal for when you’re on the road or in the office. Imagine not having to print a 30-slide investor presentation to prepare for a meeting because you can view it and add notes to it directly from your tablet. Or pulling up the most recent sell-side research report to understand investor sentiment from a cab on your way to an investor meeting. There is a lot you can do with a tablet – it’s worth the investment.
4) Download market-moving apps: Ensure you stay connected to what could potentially be moving your stock and access critical market-moving information such as quotes, news, sell-side research, and estimates whether you’re in the office or away. A variety of news and market data companies have their own apps and mobile websites, but a couple highly rated apps that aggregate news and social media are Pulse News and Flipboard. Save frequently visited market news websites or download respective apps to your smartphone and tablet.
5) Synchronize your tablet and desktop information: Leverage a variety of applications that allow you to access your desktop remotely including GoToMyPC, LogMeIn and Screens VNC. Ensure you have access to the information you need when you’re on the road with content sharing apps including Dropbox and Google Drive.
Already have a mobile IR program or a favorite IR app? Tell us how you got started. We’d love to hear your story.
* According to Morgan Stanley